De Montfort University Sexual Violence and Domestic Violence (SVDV) Research Network Conference 2019
Sexual Abuse and Domestic Abuse in the lives of children and young people
In partnership with Criminal and Civil Justice Working Group (CCJWG)
Friday 1st March 2019
This is an event of key interest to practitioners, policy makers, academics, students, victim/survivors and members of the public.
This conference is a forum to discuss all the various ways the lives of children and young people (aged 0-26) are affected by all forms of sexual violence/abuse and domestic violence/abuse. The spaces children and young people experience these issues either as victims or perpetrators is no longer confined to the ‘domestic’ location of home, expanding into virtual spaces and university campuses for example. The conference allows delegates to consider abusive behaviours that contribute to sexual violence and domestic violence of our children, adolescents and young adults, such as sexual harassment, stalking and intimidation methods from the perspectives of those who are subject to it and those who carry it out.
This subject concerns everybody, regardless of discipline or practice, organisation or age, in order to achieve a world free from sexual violence and domestic violence. That is why this conference invites you to participate and share you research and practice, regardless of your field or level of experience.
- To increase knowledge and understanding of these issues in respect of children and young people across a broad range of experiences, professional roles, responsibilities and subject disciplines.
- To advance understandings of diverse experiences of such behaviours and their impact from victim/survivor and perpetrator perspectives.
- To develop and advance understandings of good practice across disciplines and agencies in addressing sexual violence and domestic violence as experienced by children and young people.
To achieve this by:
- Knowledge transfer and the sharing of creative innovations in this field
- The creation and expansion of networking opportunities
- The facilitation of an open dialogue between key stakeholders.