De Montfort University (“We”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is De Montfort University of The Gateway, Leicester LE1 9BH.
Our nominated representative for the purpose of the Act is Dieter Kraftner, Director of IT & Media Services.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- information that you provide by filling in forms on our site www.svdv.org.uk (our site). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site or posting material. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site;
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence;
- we may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them; or
- details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, and the resources that you access. This is for the purpose of developing and improving the website and assessing the impact of our resources
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type and for system administration. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
When someone visits our site we collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns using small files called cookies. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited. We do not pass any of this information to third parties.
We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. We collect this information in a way which does not identify anyone, nor do we make any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our site.
Where we story your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to provide you with information, products or services that we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so; and
- to notify you about changes to our service.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means any of our subsidiary undertakings (as defined in section 1162, Companies Act 2006), including to De Montfort Expertise Limited (the company through which we pursue our commercial objectives).
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets; and
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for promotion/ marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to Information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.